Slow Elimination Diet: Phase 1 (3 weeks)
- Rise with the sun and go to bed with the sun - turn your phone on airplane mode when the sun dips below the horizon. Avoid artificial light after sunset, especially screens. Candlelight is ideal. Turn off the WIFI in the house at sunset. If there are streetlights, close the curtains or do what is needed to block out the light.
- Take the time you need in the morning to attune inward, walk outside and expose your skin and eyes to sunlight before turning on the phone.
- Carve out alone time each day, where your phone is on airplane mode and you have space and quiet to take care of your needs, whether it's writing, taking a walk in nature, meditation, qigong, etc.
- Get out in nature daily. Even if it's for a short walk. Take that time to tune in with your body, breath and the natural world.
- Rest whenever you feel tired. Slow down, take short naps, tune in and allow the body to relax throughout the day. No need to rush.
- Move your body every day to get the circulatory system flowing, whether it be through dance, taking a long walk, stretching, swimming, etc. Ideally something that you really enjoy doing.
- Eliminate sugar (especially processed sugar and sugar derivatives like high fructose corn syrup). Raw honey and dates are better alternatives in moderation.
- Eliminate dairy (organic ghee is ok)
- Eliminate caffeine and alcohol
- Eliminate wheat gluten
- Eliminate vegetable oils such as sunflower, safflower, canola, etc. Replace with ghee, cold-pressed olive oil (do not heat), cold-pressed coconut oil (small amounts) or cold-pressed avocado oil. Note: most nut milks use these vegetable oils and are high in sugar.
- Eliminate all processed foods with chemical additives and preservatives.
- Eat in balance with your physical activity. Listen deeply to your body in terms of when you need to eat, how much and what. Take pleasure in eating slowly, chewing well and enjoying your food.
- Ideally make lunch the biggest meal of the day, eaten when the sun is highest in the sky, while digestive fire is strong.
- Avoid mixing protein and carbohydrates. Eat protein alone with veggies or carbs alone with veggies. Fruit is best on an empty stomach.
- Do not combine fluids with food. Wait 30 minutes after drinking to eat and wait 2 hours after eating to drink (unless it's fruit, which only needs about 30 minutes to digest).
- Swap out your water for fresh spring water - or a quality local water with a ph between 5-6.
- Take short notes throughout the day of anything you ingest (food, liquids, herbs, medicine, etc).
- Notice your bodily sensations, such as tension, relaxation, heavy, energized, etc. and what is going on around you while sensing these things.
- Note parts of the body where you may hold tension or certain breathing patterns.
- Pay attention to how you feel around certain people and environments.
- Track your sleep patterns
These are simple observations to jot down throughout the day with an objective perspective. As if you are observing an organism's activity without trying to change anything.
Monitoring the Kidneys and Lymph:
Don't eat for drink anything for 12 hrs (19h - 7h).
Pee in a cup - if the urine is cloudy and has sediment, that is a good sign that your kidneys are processing lymphatic waste. If the urine is clear, it is a sign that the lymphatic system is blocked up and kidneys need support.
Do this every couple weeks.
Ingredients: Mugwort, Calendula Flower, Hibiscus, Damiana, Rosemary, Licorice Root, Morning Glory Flower Essence, Foxglove Flower Essence
Suggested Use: 30-60 drops 2-3 times a day mixed with warm lemon water and and touch of honey.
Dosage varies from person to person, use your intuition.